The methodological approach of Fundación Lonxanet faithfully observes the following PRINCIPLES:
- Direct participation of the fishermen: working with them and not for them.
- Collective interest: favours working with the representatives of fishermen’s associations, thus promoting the collective interest over the individual’s.
- Autonomy: acts as a driver, transmitter and facilitator of processes, promoting a progressive evolution towards full autonomy for fishermen.
- Sustainability: fosters and promotes environmental, economic and social sustainability.
- Collaboration: promotes the open collaboration with other actors with similar goals, building and strengthening networks and partnerships with other organisations (public, not-for-profit, the scientific community, etc.) in favour of integral sustainability.
Design and creation METHODOLOGY for Co-managed Protected Marine Areas of Fisheries Interest:
- It is inclusive as it integrates and promotes interaction with the fishermen.
- It is open and dynamic as it moves and transforms depending on the context..
- It is modular because its components can be implemented partially or completely and at different times, depending on the priorities of the community where it acts.
- It is multidimensional because its actions integrate the individual, the collective and society, and at the same time works in the social, environmental and economic scopes and also in citizen’s participation.
Examples of implementation:
You can download here the PDF (Nueva Gobernanza de los Ecosistemas Costeros. Una propuesta metodológica) with methodology we developed.