Field of action
Fundación Lonxanet’s field of action is focussed mainly on artisanal fishing and on the communities dependant on this economic activity. Some of the reasons:
- Over 200 million people in the world practice artisanal fishing.
- It feeds more than 2 billion people.
- It provides 50% of the fish for global human consumption.
- It generates local employment, settles the population in the territory and is a dynamic social and economic element in many locations along coasts, rivers and lakes to whom depend on these ecosystems.
- It contributes to social, environmental and economic sustainability more than any other productive fishing system (semi-industrial or industrial).
- Most of them are rural populations, living in developing countries and also in emerging countries with an HDI well below average.
Despite these facts, artisanal fishing is an economic activity in regression, especially vulnerable to the lack of attention and support by the public policies in many countries. This regression brings about the abandonment of the activity and then poverty, emigration, uprooting and marginalisation.
Fundación Lonxanet acts on the conditions that weaken artisanal fishing in order to strengthen and consolidate it as a productive system contributing to social, economic, environmental and political sustainability in fishing communities.